January 5, 2013

When listening becomes hearing

Its been several weeks since I first heard "I Will Wait" by Mumford and Sons. When I first heard it I thought it was cute but it didn't really catch my attention. Next time I heard it I found myself enjoying the instrumentation and uniqueness of sound that emanated from them. Their voices where that of  storytellers. I love songs that envelope a story, I believe it adds a depth to an otherwise "flat" interpretation of life in song. So, I decided that if they sounded like storytellers then perhaps I should listen to the story they were telling. Boy am I glad I did.

I do not know much detail of the band but I do believe they are a folk rock band that is influenced by literature. Not sure if they meant this song to have a strong Christian undertone but it sure does drive at it with some of the most beautiful amalgamations of words and sentiment I have heard in a while. If they did intend it to be so I love that they didn't cloud it with the false pious bravado that is often found in some Christian songs and hymns. They opened the words and managed to give them the freedom to dance and smile on the ears of the hearer so much so that it is difficult to hear the humility and longing that is being spoke of. Theologians the world over have stumbled over esoteric words and hyper religious banter that eventually fail where these words minister to the secret longing in the depths of the heart with a blinding clarity. Bravo.

I am sure that some will say that I am only hearing what I want to hear from the words of the song. To them I say - perhaps. But that just makes this song so much more intriguing as that is exactly what the Word of God does. It means what you need it to mean, when you need it to mean it. Not in a frivolous, cherry-picking way but one that is personal and provoking.

To think that I might have missed all of this if I had settled for listening instead of hearing the song. To think that many who listen may have deaf ears to its meaning.

Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait

Well I came home like a stone
And I fell heavy into your arms
These days of dust, which we've known
Will blow away with this new sun

And I'll kneel down, wait for now

And I'll kneel down know my ground

And I will wait, I will wait for you

And I will wait, I will wait for you


So break my step, and relent
Well you forgave, and I won't forget
Know what we've seen and him with less
Now in some way shake the excess

But I will wait, I will wait for you

And I will wait, I will wait for you
And I will wait, I will wait for you
And I will wait, I will wait for you
Now I'll be bold as well as strong
And use my head alongside my heart
So tame my flesh and fix my eyes
A tethered mind freed from the lies

And I'll kneel down, wait for now

I'll kneel down know my ground

Raise my hands, paint my spirit gold
Bow my head, keep my heart slow

Cause I will wait, I will wait for you

And I will wait, I will wait for you
And I will wait, I will wait for you
And I will wait, I will wait for you


No comments:

Post a Comment